May is one of the top months for grill fires.
Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer. This is the time of year when more outdoor grills are dusted off and put to use. Whether using a grill on an apartment rooftop or in your backyard, consider these fire prevention and safety tips before lighting the grill. Most grill fires are preventable.
- Barbecue grills are designed for outdoor use only. Never barbecue in an enclosed area – dangerous carbon monoxide (CO) can accumulate and be deadly. If you suspect CO poisoning, call 9-1-1.
- Set-up your grill on a flat surface in an open area at least three feet away from buildings, overhead combustible surfaces, dry leaves and brush.
- Make sure the grease trap is empty and clean and that grilling parts are firmly in place.
- For propane grills, make sure the hose connection is tight and check the hoses for leaks. This is especially important when using the grill for the first time in a long time.
- Never leave grills unattended while cooking.
- Keep a three-foot zone around the grill where children and pets aren’t allowed.
- Do not leave starter fluid, lighters or matches within the reach of children.
- Use the proper tools. Long handled barbecue utensils and flame retardant mitts will prevent burns from heat and flame.
- For charcoal grills, avoid adding lighter fluid after the coals are lit.
- For propane grills, turn the grill and fuel cylinder off immediately after grilling.
- For charcoal grills, allow coals to cool for 48 hours before disposing. If you are not able to wait, douse coals with plenty of water, and stir them to ensure that the fire is out. Never place coals in plastic, paper or wooden containers; place in a metal container with a tight-fitting lid.
Please watch and share our new multilingual videos on outdoor grilling.
Amharic Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/p8Zn7GtiQPA
Arabic Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/47a8366B63E
Chinese Simplified – Mandarin Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/kkYKarJDTaY
Chinese Traditional – Cantonese Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/9OSDgnzS2vY
Khmer Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/pabxroMLtK0
Korean Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/pKRJkdbq68I
Oromo Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/3yBE1dwETBs
Russian Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/VfCKQKMKiF8
Somali Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/OkIn9k6D8AE
Spanish Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/DxH2LjFPSiM
Thai Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/I1pj0Y0_llM
Tigrinya Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/iI1AwnDOa34
Ukrainian Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/1pAecLFxKrk
Vietnamese Outdoor Grilling: https://youtu.be/N7rrJ2zTCbM
Article Source: News from City of Seattle