- A number of fun, festive, fall-centric community-run events are planned this weekend in Southeast Seattle. These events are open to the public, so we hope you can attend them to celebrate Halloween, build community, and connect with your neighbors.
- This blog includes details on each event, how to get there, and brief COVID-19 health and safety reminders. Events highlighted are listed below.
- T’Challaween: A South End Tribute to Our Heroes (South Beacon Hill) – Saturday, October 30.
- Boo Bash at the Beach (Rainier Beach) – Sunday, October 31.
- Two events via the Rec’N The Streets Program (a Seattle Parks and Recreation community program) – Saturday, October 30.
Halloween has arrived and several community celebrations are happening this weekend in Southeast Seattle! Make your plans to take part and enjoy these fun, family-friendly seasonal events.
T’Challaween: A South End Tribute to Our Heroes
Highlights of this event include:
- Costume parade
- Costume contest
- Shop the South End Public Market, plus live music and entertainment at Jefferson Park
- Decorate the “Spookiest House” for prizes
- Get professional pictures taken of you and your family in your Halloween costumes
- Watch the live-stream from home if you can’t attend in person
So what is T’Challaween – and why a tribute to our heroes, you might ask…
“We will work to be an example of how we, as brothers and sisters on this earth, should treat each other. Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe.”
–T’Challa, from Marvel’s Black Panther movie
T’Challaween is a tribute to our heroes and role models — those who inspire, set an example, and pave the way for us. Halloween is the perfect event to pay tribute to those among us, real and imagined, who make us want to be the best versions of ourselves and push through fear and insecurity to grow and level-up as human beings. T’Challaween is an opportunity to not only pay tribute to those who came before us but to be those who will come after.
On Halloween, we can be anything we want. We can try on being the “hero” for a day and find out what it’s like to be something different that feels great. It’s an opportunity for South Seattleites to come together safely to celebrate what makes our community great — the people! More than ever, we need each other.
Ready your costumes and come out with all the style you can muster, South End Heroes!
If you are interested in volunteering at this event, providing sponsorship, or contacting the event organizers, please send an email to Jessie McKenna: [email protected].
Boo Bash at the Beach (Rainier Beach)
- Date: Sunday, October 31, 2021
- Time: 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Location: Rainier Beach Community Center
- Address: 8825 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118 (Google Maps location)
- To learn more: Visit the event website at www.rbboobash.org/
Here’s what the Boo Bash is all about:
The Boo Bash at the Beach serves thousands of kids and families for a free, safe, and fun experience on Halloween. The parking lot of Rainier Beach Community Center will be transformed into a trick-or-treater’s wonderland hosting dozens of booth filled with city and county public agencies, faith-based organizations, community groups, and local merchants. In addition to trunk-or-treating, there will be activities, entertainment, and lots of fun. Kids can trick-or-treat for surprises and sweet treats, hosted by local organizations and businesses. This event has been hosted in the Rainier Beach community since 2014.
Following a year without Boo Bash in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event is back at full force this year! Please remember the new location of the Rainier Beach Community Center – NOT the Rainier Beach Safeway parking lot, where it had been hosted in previous years.
This community-led event is made possible by a close partnership between community organizations, local businesses, public agencies, and many dedicated volunteers. Thank you to everyone who has worked hard and helped make Boo Bash at the Beach 2021 a reality.
Rec’N The Streets program events (a Seattle Parks and Recreation community program)
The Rec’N The Streets program is hosting two community events on Saturday, October 30 – please see details below, or visit this events page on Facebook. To learn more about the Rec’N The Streets program, visit the Seattle Parks and Recreation website.
Event #1: The Great Pumpkin Hunt
- Date: Saturday, October 30
- Time: 12:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- Location: New Holly community (near New Holly Learning Center)
- Address: 7058 32nd Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118 (Google Maps location)
Event #2: Flashlight Pumpkin Hunt
- Date: Saturday, October 30
- Time: 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Location: Jefferson Community Center
- Address: 3801 Beacon Ave S, Seattle, WA 98101 (Google Maps location)
If you have any questions, please contact Joy House (Seattle Parks and Recreation Program Manager) at [email protected].
Important COVID-19 health and safety reminders
Please help us keep everyone safe at these in-person celebrations by adhering to COVID-19 safety precautions and observing social distancing recommendations. Masks are currently required at all large-scale outdoor events, regardless of vaccination status. Please follow instructions from on-site event staff and volunteers while attending. Thank you for your cooperation and ongoing efforts to help keep everyone safe and healthy.
We hope you enjoy these events. Happy Halloween!
Article Source: News from City of Seattle